Sunday, January 15, 2012

Learning to Trust


     The book of Job has proven to be quite a trying book.  In the beginning I found it hard to understand the reasons for Job’s suffering.  I’m still not sure why He had to suffer the way he did but as I reached the end of the book I came to the realization that maybe I was not intended, we we’re not intended, to know the full reasons for Job’s suffering.  In the end God vindicates Job and restores to him all his possession two-fold, but Job is still never given an answer for why he has had to suffer.  God does not make him privy to the beginning dialogue between Himself and Satan and the subsequent trials and suffering that follow.  All God tells Job is that he should trust Him and I think that is the main purpose of the book. 

     Just like Job we are supposed to trust God.  As readers we are supposed to trust that Job’s suffering was not in vain and as believers in our world today we are trust God that the suffering and trials that we endure and that we see around us serve a greater purpose that is not necessarily available to our wisdom.  So I believe one of the overall themes of this book is trust, in the face of all circumstances.  Trust in the Lord as the supreme Judge who will right all wrongs and, while it may seem like it for the time being, will not allow the wicked to prosper forever.  Trust that the Lord is working all things for our good even though it may not seem like it in the moment.  And lastly, to trust in the Lord as protector and deliverer because ultimately He will deliver, as we will see and continue to see in the sacrifice of Jesus.

"Though He slay me, I will hope in Him..." Job 13:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for traveling along and thanks for the comment!

-Justin